News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

March 23, 2010

I Like It, I Love It, I Want Some More Of It!!!

So, I was sitting contentedly at my seat, editing my latest English 101 essay only to freak out and spastically swipe at my hair. After finishing “Curse of the Spider King” by WTB and CH, I was already paranoid about multi-legged arachnids creeping around my house...the funny feeling on my head rightfully sent me to the edge of bedlam. Thankfully, it was nothing major. My headband just slipped and tickled me...thus the fit.

Lately I’ve been gobbling up books by the two-fold. I finished “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness” and “North! Or Be Eaten” both by Andrew Peterson...they’re part of the Wingfeather Saga. I also read “Curse of the Spider King” by WTB and CH and “I Know Why Angels Dance” by Bryan Davis. Four books in just three days! I’m telling you, I love my novels! (Now I have four more to add to my growing collection)

Which of the above four did I like the most? Well...I’d have to rule out the Angels Dance (it is really good though), mainly because I’m not too keen on topics of death. The Spider King was also very good but it didn’t move forward fast enough to my liking. The Wingfeather Saga series is so far the top on my list. I must admit that the personable writing style and funny characters have earned themselves a soft spot in my heart. I’m definitely looking forward to the third book!

What is it that I enjoy in books the most? Well, for one, I love good plots. If the story gets to the point and uses lots of detail and has lots of action then I’m satisfied. I’m finding lately that new authors tend to dish out the best stuff, mainly because they’re new, but also because they have fresh ideas. Once an author becomes ingrained in his or her genre, they tend to repeat what they’ve already said...except they use new backgrounds and characters. What I look for is something genuine and thrilling. Gore doesn’t impress me...a little bit is ok, but too much is not good. The Binding of the Blade series is an example of expertise gone slightly awry. I loved the overall plot and the characters, but the constant focus on gore and battle got tiring after a couple books.

Bryan Davis’s Echoes on the Edge series was absolutely excellent! Mr. Davis offered his audience new ideas and concepts, fresh characters, and intriguing themes. I was immediately hooked and have read the series three times already! To me, they’re like the new Chronicles of Narnia (not that there is anything similar between them, but I relate them because of how often I’m sure they’ll be read!).

The DragonSpell (and so on) series by Donita K. Paul was also excellent, although I haven’t read all of the books through twice. I loved the setting and characters...again, the ideas were fresh and captivating.

So if you’re planning on writing a book for me, please make sure that your ideas are original and the plot is complicated. That’s one thing that I didn’t find too much of in the Wingfeather Saga...complication. I could see right through to the plot about the Jewels of Anniera at about halfway through the book and I guessed about Peet the Sock man’s identity (correctly) by ¾ of the way through. On the other hand, most of Bryan Davis’s works have kept me on my toes.

Three cheers for all authors and writers out there who are working hard to please their readers and get the Word out to them! I admire you all and hope to see my own name mentioned alongside your own when I grow up :)

Squeaks

1 comment:

  1. Gobble up books you sure do. You were practially born with a book in your hand. I love your new blog, keep it going.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails