News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

April 10, 2010

In Honour of C.S. Lewis: A Contest!

Well, well, well...

It's been a busy week for me and I guess it's going to be a busy weekend as well. I wanted to bring an important announcement to your attention. A contest!! (do I hear those "hallelujah's" and "praise-the-lord's"??)



The contest is being hosted by Nicole White over at "The Pen and Parchment". Inspired by C.S. Lewis's writing, Nicole has been led to become an author (her current work, on its way to publishing, is called "Song of the Daystar"). In honour of C.S. Lewis, Nicole has created a short-story contest. The prize? You'll get your short story (and your blog too, if you want) advertised on Nicole's blog. She'll dedicate a separate page to "show off" the glory of your tale...if you win ;) Have I stirred up your curiosity yet? If so, please check out these rules for the contest (taken directly from "The Pen and Parchment: In Honour of C.S. Lewis: a short story contest":

1) The work should be no longer than 5k

2) It should use some form of mythology, since Lewis, as I learned, was a professor of mythology and used it in his writings.

3) It should have some sort of underlying allegorical theme (preferably Christian)

4) Submissions start May 1rst (that should give us all some time). All submissions must be sent in by the deadline of May 31rst. (if for some reason you can’t get the story to me by then, there will be a mercy deadline of June 1rst) Polls for judging will open June 5th and close on June 30th.
Now folks, you might complain that you're busy writing your own book...or perhaps you've got so much on the go you can't even clean your own room. I believe in team spirit :) Even if your composition is 1000 words... or even 500 (let's hope not), I strongly recommend that you hand in a little something to this contest so as to support our aspiring author! Give it a little thought (and if you're truly lazy, go dig through your archives and find something you've written before to submit).


Are you up for the contest? Are you willing to risk the flames? Will...you...write?
Thanks for your patience! As a participant in this contest, myself, I will meet you at the Round Table. (uhh...or was that the Stone Table??)

:P God Bless!


Squeaks.

17 comments:

  1. Darn!! I have JUST the thing.....but I did not use mythology. *face palm* Now that is annoying.....Is there any chance of an exception?

    Millard

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the Stone Table. You're thinking Arthurian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous, perhaps you could revise and add mythology? I don't think that Nicole is looking for religious mythology sort of stuff, more along the lines of what C.S. Lewis used (e.g. centaurs, dwarves, fauns, and so on).

    @ Jake, Yes, yes, it is the Stone Table...I was just having one of those moments where a little jest is worth many words (like icing on a cake; oh yeah, and I love Arthurian legends too!! I have a whole book on em)



    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As this is in honour of C.S. Lewis who I greatly admire I feel duty bound to enter. I do have the problems, though, that I am working on my own book (that needs to be done by June) and I don't have time to even clean my room. *chews lip nervously* Mythology is a little out of my line as well, and I have only managed to write one short story before. Well, I can but try, right? Team spirit and all that? This sounds really fun.
    *wanders off wracking brain for a semi-original plot*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could fanfiction (of Lewis I might add) possibly count? I really don't consider myself a fanfic writer, but I did write one for my NaNovel last year so I could take a piece of that, brush it up, and submit it if that counted. I s'pose it doesn't though.
    *continues pondering possible stories and trying to figure out how to get both projects done by June*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mhm...So not religious...*sighs* Alas I seem to be out of the running :(

    Millard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I guess I should have been a little more clear on the rules... you guys don't have to freak out about it being so strict.

    Religious is fine (if you want it).

    As for mythology, you can use greek mythology or another type if you wish... it just has to be mythology; actually, you could even make the myths up, as long as it is understood in your story that your story has something to do with myth (although I would suggest you use an actual myth of somesort)

    For that matter, if you have a story that you would like to enter but you don't have any myths in it, I would suggest that you revise and maybe just throw a mythylogical character into the mix. If you use an actual myth from a real culture, you don't have to be 100% acurate, but you can't just go an rewrite everything about that character/beast/myth.

    I hope this makes it clearer. Thanks to all who are entering! I can't wait to read what you guys write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I forgot... original pieces are preferable. For you writers out there, think of it this way; it is an advertisement for your writing and your writing style. You want it to be original because C.S. Lewis has already written narnia and people know about it, but they haven't read your short story yet... it is new to them: it might be interesting. They might like it, and then look into your writings more.

    When thought of in that way, it makes you want to try your hand at something original, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should i do it? Should i not?
    hmm..... I will have to think about that one, with a lot of my time going into my New novel i am running short on time for a short story contest, and that is also why I have not posted very much on my Blog! haha, well i will have to think about this! It would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your "about me" thing at the top of your page and I think you have the skill to become a short story Author that publishes stories you've wrote, but of course, That is just a teenage viewpoint. But i am serous the stories I've read of yours is really good, i mean i was actually surprised how good there were, if my book i am writing is that good that would be very very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. one more thing, I see you like horses! That is so cool! I have a sister that loves horses to (much more than I do) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing i gotta admit: You are really funny when you post, It is fun to read them! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Everybody, My highest and perhaps worthiest suggestion as of now is to go over to Nicole's blog and ask your questions there...because I am just a promoter of her contest. :P

    @ Isaac, Thank you! I've always wanted to become a novelist, but I have had some success with my short stories. I'm considering putting up one that I wrote while in highschool...I have to give it some thought though. (and yes, I do love horses...they're the best animals in the whole world [along with dogs and cats and cows]). :)

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, and I think my blogs are funny too. Helps relieve the stress of the day when you write something that makes you smile :P (gotta have someone being optimistic around here anyways lol)

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, I am going to have to try this out...

    ReplyDelete
  16. is it okay if I have your blog listed on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Isaac,

    Yes, that would be wonderful!

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails