News

News: If I could, I'd tie my hair up in dreds and live the life of adventure from the high seas to the mountain peaks, gathering gold and jewels and tales of mystery and action :) but for now, I'll just have to do with writing about these things as if they were truly real.

--12 December 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

April 3, 2010

Quieting Love

Cover of "The Shack"
There have been several times when I've read books and I've thought to myself, "That really hits home." If anything, it happens more often than not with the Bible (lol!), but there have been several amazing fiction/fantasy books that have done the same thing.

"The Shack" is one such book. Now I understand that many people out there have widely differing views on this piece of fiction, so I do hope that you won't mind it if I tell you that I loved it. It really touched my heart in a special way. The picture of God that Mr. Young portrayed was an intimate, loving God who cared about relationship rather than religion. That's the kind of God I believe in. The whole time I read I got little chills up and down my spine as my spirit testified to my heart how close this was to home.

I've been thinking about what I'll call The Greatest Love Story. It's the true tale of how a Prince died for his Bride. Most people skip out on this true story in life because they see all the evidence in the Bible...stuffed in alongside the recounts of battle, kings, and chronicles. Some of the scenes in The Greatest Love Story are so mind boggling and out-of-the-ordinary that people shove them off to the side because "science" declares that the truth is the truth and the truth is only that which can be seen.

Lately, it's been really hitting my heart about how God wants a really intimate, close relationship with us. Through reading "Can You Hear Me" by Brad Jersak, I was able to get to understand this God much better. The Bible is a major (and should be) first hand evidence of God's love for us. Yet still, Jesus said he'd give us the Holy Spirit and that this Spirit would teach us (Luke 14:15-21).

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." Luke 14:15-18

Books that give the general public a view of the intimate God are more likely to be cherished than those that give people a glancing view of our Saviour...or even a tiny peek. One of the things I really enjoyed about Donita K. Paul's "Dragon Keeper Series" was the fact that Wulder (aka. God) was close to his people. The characters in the series were seen, throughout various scenes, asking him for help and receiving his peace. I love to see that in good books. It's what I try to fit into my own woven tales...but sometimes it just doesn't come out the way I want it to.

I believe that some books convey a powerful image of the true God because they were written "in the Spirit". When the Holy Spirit takes over your gifting...when you use everything you have in honour of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus can bless it and hide his Truth inside of it. That's what I believe happened with "The Shack" and with the "Dragon Keeper Series" (in certain scenes).

Let this be food for thought today. Our God is an amazing, intimate God. He wants us to draw near to him so we can experience him. Therefore, as I said yesterday, let our writing be subjected to the scrutiny of his Spirit so that we can witness to the lost more fully.

Blessings Folks!


Squeaks.



5 comments:

  1. Great post! I was just looking at the sidebar with the blogroll and noticed that you included The Narrowing Road and Worthy Fantasy's links, thanks! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! By the way, they're both great blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Squeaks,
    I would like to thank you for the nice comments on my blog, becoming a follower, and for putting it in your "Amazing Blogs" sidebar... way too kind of you :-)

    Awesome post you wrote here! I haven't read, The Shack, but I know what you mean by those special books that touch your heart and makes you yearn to get closer to God.
    It was a pleasure meeting you :-)

    God's care,
    ~Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ R.P.H, glad to be of service! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely cool Squeaks, thanks for also adding my blog on there. I love the Shack, such a great book and definitely a love story from God to us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails