News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

May 10, 2010

Mugwump: Dictionary.com

Word of the Day for Monday, May 10, 2010

mugwump \MUHG-wuhmp\, noun:
1. A person who is unable to make up his or her mind on an issue, esp. in politics; a person who is neutral on a controversial issue.
2. A Republican who refused to support the party nominee, James G. Blaine, in the presidential campaign of 1884.
Twain declared that people arrive at their religion and politics "Second-hand and without examination," and proclaimed himself a Mugwump and anti-Imperialist. Those of all political persuasions quote and misquote him and claim him as a spokesman for their opposing views.
-- Cindy Lovell, Mark Twain's legacy worth preserving, Kansas City Star
It was his boast that he took his liquor and his politics "straight," and it was his creed that if anything was worse than a mugwump it was a bolter.
-- "If I were a man;": the story of a new-southerner, Volume 1889
Mugwump originates in the 19th century as a term for a Republican who refused to support the party nominee, James G. Blaine, in the presidential campaign of 1884. It is a rough adoption from the Algonquian (tribe native to the Massachusetts region) word muggumquomp, "war leader". In his 1959 novel "Naked Lunch" American author William S. Burroughs uses mugwump as the name of a bizarre creature.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! Will this 'word of the day' kind of post be coming back in the future??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe...do you think it is worth it?

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's worth it. What's more interesting to writers than words? I have to find a way to use mugwump in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mugwump is such a hilarious word! In fact, I was talking to my family about it and my mom suggested that perhaps CS Lewis derived Marshwiggle from this word. It particularly suits the attributes of Puddleglum, when you think of it :P He couldn't make up his mind about anything!

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's worth it! I thought it was 'Puddleglummish' too. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails