News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

July 24, 2010

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

If you love medieval based books and if you're into classics then Ivanhoe is a must-read. I personally enjoyed this tale of love, war, and prejudice; I studied it in high school and immediately fell in love with all the characters (particularly the jester, Wamba XD ). Here is the synopsis directly from the back of the book:

Medieval England. King Richard the Lion-hearted, coming home from the Crusades, has been captured and imprisoned in Austria. His wicked brother, John, has seized the throne and refuses to pay Richard's ransom. Meanwhile, the conflict between Saxon and Norman threatens to turn into civil war.
Standing above it all is Wilfred of Ivanhoe, the disinherited son of Cedric, a Saxon noble. Ivanhoe enraged his father by following the Norman Richard to the Crusades. Now back in England, he wants to help rescue Richard--and marry Cedric's ward, Rowena. But Cedric has pledged her to a highborn Saxon in hopes of creating a new Saxon royal line. To this mix Walter Scott adds several ferocious Norman villains; the legendary Robin Hood; a Shakespeare "wise fool" who constantly offers wryly sardonic comments on the action; and a sidelong look at English anti-Semitism, as a pair of Jewish characters, the beautiful Rebecca and her father, Isaac of York, alternately protect and garner protection from Ivanhoe.
With its clanging swords, burning castles, damsels in distress, and kings in disguise, Ivanhoe remains Scott's best-loved novel of historical romance.

 I greatly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes reading history that has been intertwined with fiction.

Squeaks.

4 comments:

  1. I've thought about reading this one before... I'll have to look into it now. For real. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who is reading this--perhaps I should look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I should read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes and yes! I think, after I finish my re-read of Makaidos and Starlighter, I'm going to read this one again :)

    @ Jake, the language is a bit difficult at times since some of the terms are no longer in vogue any more, but if you get a copy of Ivanhoe that has footnotes you'll be good to go. I think you'd really like the parts with jousting :P those were some of my faves!

    @ Star-Dreamer, I think you'd like it too. The prose that Scott uses in his writing is amazing; his sentences and paragraphs flow together so wonderfully. The only thing I was a bit bored with was the long descriptions of scenery and all that jazz :P

    @Jessica, yes yes! You should :P Whenever I think of Ivanhoe I think of your profile picture :)

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails