News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

July 23, 2010

July 23, 2010 Writing Tip: Never Stop Writing

There are times when, as writers, we want to take a break and stop writing...for several days, several weeks, or even several months. Today I'll deal with the issue of blogging and how to keep your posts coming.

One of the greatest incentives that pushes us to write is the understanding that people are waiting to read your work. I've been blogging for just over 1 year now and I have come to love the feeling of waking up in the morning and seeing that little blue link on my dashboard that says "-- comments". Over time I've realized that unless I publish something new every now and then, that little link will not come up.

Some days you feel terribly bland and don't feel like writing. If you've promised your readers you'll post every day, but then you skip out once in a while, not only will you feel a sense of dissatisfaction, but your readers might too. To help prevent such a calamity, here are a few tips:

  1. Write all your posts for the week during the weekend (or a quiet day); you'll only have to wake up in the morning and hit publish during for the rest of the week. Unfortunately, you don't get the thrill of writing every day with this option and, if you like to write on the spur of the moment, this is probably not for you. 
  2. Prepare for those days when you will feel bland and unimaginative by writing two or three "general" posts that you can publish when the need is great :)
  3. Set a deadline during the day and make sure your post is published by that time (e.g. 8 am or 8pm)

Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits.  ~Robert Brault

Squeaks.

    1 comment:

    1. I know what you mean by 'terribly bland'. :P I used to get that feeling all of the time.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts with Thumbnails