News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

September 16, 2010

Michael D. Warden: Excerpt

From the blog of Michael D. Warden, author of Gideon's Dawn and Waymaker (I've only read the first book and I LOVE IT!!! It seriously is my favourite book in the world of fantasy; yes I love it even more than Tolkien or Lewis): I found an excerpt that I absolutely love. This is linked to Michael's blog (link below). It precisely describes how I feel...it's a feeling I cannot get away from. Some part of my being seems inextricably linked to writing; if I don't do it I feel as though I am suffocating.

Writing, like any endeavor of art, is a craft that requires a kind of obsession from the artist. A serious writer does much more than simply write. Writing is his air, his way of breathing. The scent of writing lingers on her clothes and in her hair even when days have passed since she last raised a pen. He cannot get away from it. The endgame of a serious writer is not just creative expression (many can do that quite naturally with minimal effort) or a consistent writing practice (which is merely a means). The goal is mastery. Good writing is common. Masterful writing is among the rarest of human experiences.

...
My true voice swims. I touch lightly…here, then here, then over there, like that, until a sense of the essence of a thing is coaxed out into the open. My writing is all seduction, and a willing honesty. I will look anywhere—to find the truth and sing it to the page, whether that is the truth of a moment’s pure beauty, or the truth of a festering hypocrisy I happen to love. My voice is an honest voice. But refined. Smooth. Easy like wind in the cool of eve. Some writers shock with the staccato dissonance of their prose. Some impress with the clever juxtaposition of obtuse words. But my road into the soul is not quite that. I enchant. I hear the song and with my pen I try to sing it, to share not only the transformative insight, but also the music I heard on the journey to uncover it.
Quoted from: Michael D. Warden | Practicing Your Scales Please visit this link to view the rest of the article from which this quote was taken.

Squeaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails