News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

September 25, 2010

Real Peace



The Bible has a lot to say on peace, but for now I'll just do a short post on its meaning. {Note; I wrote this post last night and scheduled it to be released today...nifty eh? EDIT: Oops...I accidentally set the date for yesterday, *chuckles* but I fixed it now}

Phillipians 4:7 says...

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

That's pretty powerful...when you think of it, but you have to think deeply. Our Lord isn't just giving us ANY kind of peace...He's giving us His peace. It goes way above our heads; we don't understand it now and we'll never understand it later. Now here is an even bigger doozy. His peace is going to guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Wow. Peace is doing some action here! We know that love (from way back to my previous posts) does action but now we hear that peace does action too.

This is even cooler...peace can be passed along. Which makes it a physical thing (like faith). We read from John 14:27:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Jesus is actually giving us His peace. When He left to be with the Father, to prepare us a place with Him, He not only gave us the Comforter (which is the Holy Spirit), but He gave us His peace. And He's not giving it to us as the world gives us peace. Worldly peace is temporary. It lasts a season and then *poof* it's gone. Think of the great World Wars. The peace before those wars was temporary and worldly. Yet the peace of God, which goes way about our understanding, is with us always and is way better than the peace the world offers.

So perhaps you're saying, "But I don't feel peace, Squeaks. It's torment inside this heart of mine. How can you say God gives me peace when I don't feel it?" Now this is my own suggestion, based on what I've read from Scripture, but I would say that the reason you don't feel peace is because you have not claimed it. God gives us everything. Salvation, love, hope, and peace. Yet in order to live a victorious life in these areas, we must claim what has been given. To be saved, we had to claim salvation as ours. To be loved, we had to claim and accept the Love of Christ. To have hope we had to claim the hope that Christ gives us as ours. The same is for peace. To have true spiritual peace, we must claim the peace of Christ as our own.

Isaiah 26:3 tells us how we obtain this kind of peace:

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. 

While Christ gives it freely, we must still focus on Him in order to reap the full benefits of the gifts He offers. We must keep our eyes on Him and Him only. God gives us peace if we keep our minds on Him. Isn't this next part amazing? God gives you peace because you trust in Him. Doesn't that ring true with the Philippians 4:7 verse? We have to trust in Christ first in order to receive His peace. Thus, we can conclude that the Old Testament compliments the New Testament and the New Testament confirms the Old Testament.

Yet we must also remember that it was not Christ's plan to bring physical peace to the world (see Matthew 10:34-36). He came to bring the sword that divides families apart. I believe that sword is the sword of truth. His words are the Sword. Yet even though Christ didn't bring physical peace to the world, He left us with spiritual peace. This is different than physical peace, because things can be going wrong all around you, yet you can still be at peace because your eyes are on Jesus. Physical peace means that the things going on around you are "well". Spiritual peace means that even when things are "bad" you're still able to walk through and be calm. Even if your next pay check comes in so low you can't pay your rent, if you have the peace of Christ in you you'll rest assured that He will take care of things.

So I leave you with these things to ponder.

- Real peace is a spiritual thing, not a physical thing
- Real peace is a gift we must receive from Christ
- Real peace is claimed by surrendering to Christ and keeping our eyes on Him


God Bless,

Squeaks. 

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed that on the edge of your verses was a nib... :) Sorry, random.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails