News

News: If I could, I'd tie my hair up in dreds and live the life of adventure from the high seas to the mountain peaks, gathering gold and jewels and tales of mystery and action :) but for now, I'll just have to do with writing about these things as if they were truly real.

--12 December 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

December 14, 2010

All Hands On Deck!!!

Frigate
I've always had a thing for ships, but not the newfangled steel monsters. I love the old wooden frigates and galleons, the ones with the rope rigging and clothe sails. My dream would be to live life as a sailor, splashing my way across the sea at the sharp bow of a man-of-war/frigate. Unfortunately, I don't know much about ships. I've always had a love for them, but I have a hard time telling starboard from port (larboard).

I've had this new idea spinning in my mind, story-wise. It would take place somewhere around 17th century England. I want it to be a sea-going novel. Something with ships and fights on the high-seas. A battle for water and treasure. Something with pirates and naval armies. Something...with ships.

Spanish Galleon
Now, knowing my lack of knowledge of ships and my desire to write about them, I would like to ask you for a bit of help (thus the title All Hands On Deck!!!). If you're a ship lover or know of any sites that really dissect the anatomy of a ship (mainly including frigates and galleons) I would really really really appreciate if you shared with me :) Anything that has to do with the anatomy of a ship, even if it seems babyish or simplistic, please drop me a link in a comment. I'm sure I'll be able to grab something of use from no matter what you offer :)


Signed on the poop deck

Squeaks.

15 comments:

  1. Sorry, I don't have anything to offer on ships. I prefer the futuristic kind, not the historic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you fair winds and smooth seas in your new writing voyage! When writing a seagoing adventure in The Mark of the Star, I found this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_nautical_terms) extremely necessary. Hope it helps!

    Blessings,
    ~ Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Wikipedia for EVERYTHING!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigates

    and

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleons

    They have a page for just about everything! from people to movie, to ships to planes..you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love ships as well! Several years ago, my family visited Mystic Seaport on vacation. It was the coolest thing ever - tons of old ships that we were able to go aboard and walk around. Haha, I took so many pictures!

    Around that time, I also wrote a sea-going story that took place during the 1700's. What helped me was watching sea-going movies or reading books that take place at sea, as well as doing lots of research! You can do a google images search on ship anatomy and it will bring up pictures of ships with all the parts labeled. Also, old books on seamanship are kind of helpful - they give lots of information though, so you have to wade through all the deep water to get to the stuff that your readers will understand and won't bore them!

    Good luck with your story! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.thepirateking.com

    Everything you need to know about the Age of Pirates and ships, everything. I used it to research for a 4H demonstration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Liz, thanks! That's a great one!

    @ Ashely, I know! Wikipedia is pretty cool. A few years ago I detested anything to do with the site, but I'm actually beginning to like it now :P

    @ Gillian, thanks for the information :) I agree that writers should steer clear of the deep stuff, regarding nautical terms and such :P I went once to the Halifax museum where they had a huuuge section on ships and such -- it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, prefer ships made of wood, ropes, tar, sails, etc. But, unfortunately, do not know much about ships, either, except a few names of the decks, and the sides. Only like, Port, Starboard, Bow, and Stern. *sigh* I have very limited knowledge.
    --Vrenith

    ReplyDelete
  8. O_o I wish I knew more about ships. :) I enjoy novels such as WTB's Pirate Adventurees, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were separated at birth, Squeaks. I love 17th Century British Navy-ness more than you know.

    Two books series' that are great: The Hornblower Saga by C S Forester and The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian. Email me or something if you wanna chat about it ;) The book "A Sea of Words" is a great seafaring dictionary, also.

    The aforementioned series' are not necessarily the best sources for technicality, however, they're still invaluable.

    I'm afraid I could go on forever, but my head hurts and I'm dizzy. I might return later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vrenith -- thanks for the comment! hehe, I too had a limited knowledge of boats until this moment, where I've vastly expanded my knowledge by reading a gazillion (actually 5) websites on ships.

    @ Jake -- I love WTB's pirate series!! Cat is my favourite lol, he's adorable...hehe in a kind of ripsnaking way (whatever that means)

    @ TD, Hm, I've never heard of those books before, they sound intriguing. I shall look into them :P I hope you feel better soon!

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Squeaks :)

    About WTB's pirate books...he used an incorrect term, once, though. There is never a ceiling on a ship. The "ceiling" is the deckhead. And there are never "walls," there are bulkheads. Sorry, just had to "show off" since I never get to in real life.... hope it proved useful, anyway. Two nautical terms just for you, Squeaks!

    Ripsnaking? Lol, SO stealing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS both my grandfathers were in the Navy, so I have some background & knowledge. And resources... hee hee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, (sorry, I'm feeling really chatty....) and about being really technical in books.... Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is totally overboard with technicalities. A lot of people don't make it past the first book.
    However, I'm reading the fourth book right now. Sure, there's alot of technical stuff, but that's the style of the series.

    Unless you're really wanting to make your books for as wide an audience as possible, I wouldn't discourage being technical. I enjoy it, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  15. @TD, that's cool! Thanks for the info :P One of my grandpa's was in the airforce during WWII. He had tons of awesome stories :P

    @The Old Geezer, thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad you've followed :) I hope you enjoy what I offer here :)

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails