News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

May 8, 2011

"The Book of Awesome" by Neil Pasricha

"Sunny without being saccharine, it's a countdown of life's little joys that reads like a snappy Jerry Seinfeld monologue by way of Maria Von Trapp." -- The Vancouver Sun

Sometimes it's easy to forget the things that make us smile. Sometimes it's tempting to feel that the world is falling apart. But awesome things are all around us:
Popping Bubble Wrap
The smell of rain on a hot sidewalk
Hitting a bunch of green lights in a row
Waking up and realizing it's Saturday
Fixing electronics by smacking them
Picking the perfect nacho off someone else's plate
The Book of Awesome reminds us that the best things in life are free. Based on the award-winning blog of 1000awesomethings.com, it's a high five for humanity and a big celebration of life's little moments. With wise, witty observations, The Book of Awesome is filled with smile-inducing musings that make you feel like a kid looking at the world for the first time: AWESOME
"LAUGH-OUT-LOUD FUNNY." --Wired.com
"Strangely heartwarming...perfect for rainy days." -- The New Yorker
"1000 Awesome Things is the #1 awesome website." -- Frank Warren, author of PostSecret
"THE AWESOMEST PART about The Book of Awesome is the realization that if you enjoy the simple moments in your life, you will be happier." -- Ben Huh, author of I Can Has Cheezburger?

*Note: above quotes and synopsis were copied from the very back cover of the book; all rights belong to publisher*

When I first saw this book it was at our Canadian Wholesale Club. Usually I don't bother to look at the book bins because they're often filled with humourless junk. In this case, however, I was randomly talking to SOTK about witty books and out of the corner of my eye, the multicoloured cover of this book nabbed my attention. As soon as I saw the big word "AWESOME" on it, I knew I must look into the book. As I cracked open those fresh smelling pages I knew I had to get it. Besides, it was 40% off the original price so it was a good deal.

I would definitely recommend this book for everyone who needs a brightening read. Some of the entries are absolutely witty and undeniably humorous. Others are more tranquil and make one sit back and muse upon the suggestion placed forth. I can totally see this as being the type of book one would curl up with on a rainy day.

Talking about rain, it's hailing outside right now. The sun is shining brilliantly through the clouds (which are large puffy white monstrosities) and it's rather warm outside. Probably like...15 or so degrees.


Signed with crayons,

Squeaks.

2 comments:

  1. This looks... well, AWESOME! I can't wait to rush to my local bookstore and buy it! I really could use reminding myself of the joys of life more often! :)

    Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    Blessings,
    ~ Liz

    P.S. Wow, um, that's quite the tropical heat wave. I don't know how you'll survive all that global warming going on... it's practically beach weather! (Sarcasm is due to the fact that I am currently freezing too...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D lol! It's actually warmed up today a fair bit. Yesterday was pretty chilly! :P I kinda wish we had an indoor fireplace, but unfortunately we can't get insurance for that :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails