News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

May 8, 2011

"The Map Across Time" by C.S. Lakin


"Heaven is not impressed with power and strength, but favours those with a true heart. Let your heart lead you, Adin, for love is what will drive you and protect you. The solution to all your troubles lies in your past." 
An ancient curse plagues the kingdom of Sherbourne, and unless it is stopped, all will fall to ruin. The King, obsessed with greed, cannot see the danger. But his teenage twin children, Aletha and Adin, know they must act. A hermit leads Adin to a magical map that will send him back in time to discover the origin of the curse. Once back, Adin must find the Keeper, who protects the Gate of Heaven, but all he has is a symbol as a clue to guide him. Unbeknown to Adin, Aletha follows her brother, but they both arrive in Sherbourne's past at the precipice of a great war, and there is little time to discover how to counteract the curse. 
One unexpected disaster after another forces the twins to make difficult choices. Adin's only hope for saving his kingdom is to return to the future to manipulate events so his quest can succeed. Through his trials and failures, Adin learns that nothing can stop heaven from accomplishing its goal, and that all events work for the good of those who trust heaven. An epic fairy tale with surprising twists, embracing the enduring power of love and faith. 

*Note: All material above was copied directly from the back of the book and all rights belong to the publisher*

The Map Across Time is the second book in The Gate of Heaven series. Compared to the first, I enjoyed this one a LOT more. What did I enjoy about it? Well, first of all the characters were amazing, the concepts were mind-boggling (get this, traveling back into the past, then into the future, seeing yourself do things and wishing you acted differently, living in three separate times all at once with three separate futures). It was slightly confusing, however I enjoyed the challenge. Compared to The Wolf of Tebron, The Map Across Time was not choppy at all. The storyline flowed quite smoothly and it was an altogether enjoyable read :)

The one thing I did dislike about this book was that the plot could have been deepened a fair bit. Through the span of the story, we get know very little about the bad guys and why they do what they do. I'd also like to know a lot more about the curse business. For instance, the scene that explains the beginning of the curse was  very short and, since the whole novel revolves around this pivotal scene, I think it should have received much more attention.

Despite this, I found the story very enjoyable. Perhaps the most surprising part (and this isn't a plot giver-away-er...thing...uh, yeah), was that the story didn't end when I felt that it was going to end. In fact, I think there were some 50-100+ pages left before it actually finished. That slog into the backstory wasn't all too necessary...it did kinda read like a very long epilogue, however I enjoyed the added detail and the plot of the whole book makes a lot more sense now that I know what happened after the little drop that follows the climax.

If you're interested in reading about strange birds, magic, curses, time travel, and multiple persona's I think you'll love this book :) I do note, for the sake of the male race, that there is a wee bit of romance, but it's not too ooshy-gooshy and it certainly doesn't take over the plot (although it is critical to the direction of the plot) but don't let that phase you if you were interested in this read from the beginning!

Signed with a gold feather,

Squeaks.

[p.s. check out the cover art for this book, it's amazing!]

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I found your blog on meandthelion.blogspot.com

    Just wanted to say I like you blog name...also I love the binding of the blade series too...I thought I was the only one to read them=) Not really but you know what I mean=)
    I haven’t read much of your blog yet, just wanted to encourage you=)
    -Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read this one, but the library must have lost their copy...since they're too stupid to NOT get this. Right? Right...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julianne, Thanks for stopping by!! :D

    @Jake, Oh totally...the second is definitely better than the first :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails