News

News: If I could, I'd tie my hair up in dreds and live the life of adventure from the high seas to the mountain peaks, gathering gold and jewels and tales of mystery and action :) but for now, I'll just have to do with writing about these things as if they were truly real.

--12 December 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

May 8, 2011

"The Wolf of Tebron" by C.S. Lakin


"Go to the house of the Moon. She is there, with your wife...Your dreams will point the way north, but it is beyond the ends of the world, and the traveling perilous..." -- The Goose Woman 
Joran dreams of living a simple life as a blacksmith in his forested village of Tebron. But when his wife, Charris, disappears in a whisk of magic, his dream shatters as he is forced to go on a perilous journey to the ends of the world to rescue her. The goose woman tells him he must solve the riddle of the three keys, and will wear out three pairs of shoes before he battles the Moon -- who has trapped Charris in a sand castle perched above the sea. 
Dismayed and fearful, Joran sets out alone, but along the way finds unlikely companionship in a wolf named Ruyah, who becomes his guide and trusted friend. In true fairy-tale tradition, Joran must face daunting challenges -- within and without -- in order to bring Charris safely home.
The Gates of Heaven series celebrates the reinvention of the fairy tale in the tradition of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia. These hope-inspiring tales, replete with unforgettable characters and engaging plots, will delight readers of any age, reawakening the simple joy of a tale well told. 
*Note: All above material was copied directly from the very back cover of the book and all rights belong to the publisher*

My mom brought home The Wolf of Tebron (and the second, of which a review will be coming up shortly). To my current knowledge she has not yet read them, as they've remained in my room since I've received them from her...in beautifully new condition :) The cover of this first book captured my attention instantly. It looked curious, particularly with the strange face the moon is making.

Without giving away details or particulars, I will tell you straight up that the plot was intriguing but the writing was quite poor. I had a hard time following Lakin's choppy style right from the beginning and while I hoped it would get better, it proceeded to be choppy straight through to the end. Yet, if you're able to read around the choppiness, I do believe you'll enjoy this plot. There were several cool twists added and the originality of the entire "find the moon", "find the sun", "find the south wind" concepts was very refreshing. However, I might add that the conclusion of this book was not as good as it could have been. In fact, I was quite disappointed with it. Despite this, I still think it is a good read and I did become attached to the characters quickly, particularly Ruyah and Bryp.

As for a moral, this story was undeniably wound around Biblical truths and analogies. I thought Lakin was quite witty in the way she wove everything together. Remove the choppiness and poor ending and this would be an utter masterpiece! Thus, because of the great plot and loveable characters, as well as originality, I would suggest this book to anyone who feels up to the challenge :)

Signed with quotes,

Squeaks.

4 comments:

  1. Woh. Sounds really, really cool! I have to go find this book now! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one, and for the most part I agree with you. The next one looks much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love C.S. Lewis. I don't read as much fantasy as I used to, but I'm up for this challange;)
    -Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TD, YES! Do read it :D I think you'll enjoy it :D

    @Jake, mhm definitely :P I preferred the second book.

    @Julianne, I wish it were C.S. Lewis who wrote this :P It's actually written by C.S. Lakin. She does a fair job, although her style is pretty choppy. However, I'd give it bonus points for having talking animals in it!


    Signed with enchilada sauce,

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails