News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

July 6, 2011

Who Am I?

Who Am I? 
by Dietrich Bonhoeffer



Who am I? They often tell me
I stepped from my cell’s confinement
Calmly, cheerfully, firmly,
Like a squire from his country-house.
Who am I? They often tell me
I used to speak to my warders
Freely and friendly and clearly,
As though it were mine to command.
Who am I? They also tell me
I bore the days of misfortune
Equally, smilingly, proudly,
Like one accustomed to win.

Am I then really all that which other men tell of?
Or am I only what I myself know of myself?
Restless and longing and sick, like a bird in a cage,
Struggling for breath, as though hands were
compressing my throat,
Yearning for colors, for flowers, for the voices of birds,
Thirsting for words of kindness, for neighborliness,
Tossing in expectation of great events,
Powerlessly trembling for friends at an infinite distance,
Weary and empty at praying, at thinking, at making,
Faint, and ready to say farewell to it all?

Who am I? This or the other?
Am I one person today and tomorrow another?
Am I both at once? A hypocrite before others,
And before myself a contemptibly woebegone weakling?
Or is something within me still like a beaten army,
Fleeing in disorder from victory already achieved?
Who am I? They mock me, these lonely questions of mine.
Whoever I am, Thou knowest, 0 God, I am Thine!

***
 13 For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
   your works are wonderful, 
   I know that full well. 
15 My frame was not hidden from you 
   when I was made in the secret place, 
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. 
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; 
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book 
   before one of them came to be. (NIV; Psalm 139: 13-16)


Sometimes we have this crisis in life. I call it the who-am-I crisis. It involves the asking of questions such as: who am I? So let me ask you this; who are you, really? What defines you and makes you different from other people in the world? Why are you you

This question can be difficult to answer, especially since we, as humans, share so much in common with other people. However, let me share some things with you that define me as being unique and special both in my relation to the world and in my relation to being...well, unique. 

In Relation to A Select Sampling of Everyone-Else

  • I love to laugh
  • I love to be around people
  • I love Jesus
  • I play piano and guitar and love it
  • I love music
  • I love love :) the concept of it, that is
  • I love dancing
  • I love being sappy/mushy 
  • I love being serious/a realist
  • I love daydreaming
Ok, so those are pretty general things right? How about some specifics now that define me as not only being cool but also being uniquely made...

In Relation to being Unique

  • I have a special smile that only a Squeaks can conjure up :) 
  • I have a unique voice that no one else can truly imitate
  • I have a mash of genes in my DNA that make me genetically unlike anyone else
  • I've got a unique fingerprint :P 
  • No one else can ever have my purpose in life ('course, I'm still figuring that out, but God knows exactly what it is)
  • The gifts and talents I've been given by God are specially designed just for me and the way I use them makes me unique
  • I have a special way of loving people; no one else can love in the way that I can because I am Squeaks and no one else is like me.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. --Henry David Thoreau
 Perhaps that's a rather sorry list...and I know there are other ways in which I'm delightfully (*cringe* ok, the word veers towards the English tea scene, but w/e) myself. Now for my question of the day:

Who are you? Are you trying to be yourself or are you attempting to fit in with a world of fakes and clones? Being you is so much fun, why waste time trying to be someone else? It's harder to try and fit into a skin that doesn't belong to you when you can simply slip into your own that was specially crafted to fit your whole being -- your ideology and passions -- your everything.

Google Image


The Moral


Don't waste time trying to fit in, just be yourself and you'll find life more meaningful and special :) Jesus made you unique not because he wants you to feel uncomfortable, but because he wants you to become everything he made you to be...so that people can step back and go "Wow, he/she is a stunning reminder of the awesomeness of our God." Just think of your favourite musician/singer/band, your favourite author, your favourite friend. What draws you to these people? Perhaps it is the fact that they are living their lives as being purely and simply themselves...their uniqueness draws you to them because they're different and because of their difference, they become special.


Signed with sunlight,

Squeaks.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to be someone else that people wanted me to be during my early teen years--and had hard times later because of it. Bing yourself is definitely much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @H.A. Titus; yes! definitely :D being yourself is a lot better than trying to be someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails