News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

January 3, 2012

Amazing Grace

When I first caught glimpse of Amazing Grace, the movie that is, I turned away and thought to myself, "Ah, why do I need to fill my head with further meaningless babble." However, today (my last free day before I return to my studies) I decided I wanted to do something useful. So I watched Amazing Grace. It was, for lack of better words, amazing. [note -- if your computer allows it, I do encourage you to turn on the Music that Means Something -- you'll find the small music player on the right hand side of this blog; it simply adds to the effect of this post]




Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page: 


Amazing Grace is a 2006 U.S.–UK co-production film, directed by Michael Apted, about the campaign against slave trade in the British Empire, led byWilliam Wilberforce, who was responsible for steering anti-slave trade legislation through the British parliament. The title is a reference to the hymn"Amazing Grace". The film also recounts the experiences of John Newton as a crewman on a slave ship and subsequent religious conversion, which inspired his writing of the poem later used in the hymn. Newton is portrayed as a major influence on Wilberforce and the abolition movement. -- Link

(note: William Wilberforce is played by Ioan Gruffudd -- he did an awesome job [there's something about men in English frocks that is just so right])

First and foremost, the acting was great. While the movie was placed in the Napoleonic era, it seemed to have that familiar language of the Victorian. Perhaps I simply haven't studied my literature well enough. Anyhow, I enjoyed the dialogue immensely and intend to watch this video again -- the the future. The message of the movie, however, was very touching. As you have read, it focused on the abolishment of slave trade.

I do not think I ever truly understood (or will understand) how important William Wilberforce was in changing history. I feel as if I've touched the tip of the iceberg and now cling tentatively to its slippery siding. Really, think with me, friend, Wilberforce was a mere 28yrs old when he directed the meeting of the Society for Effecting the Abolition of Slave Trade. Twenty-eight years old! That isn't very old at all. And here I am, a young adult -- what have I contributed to my society? What have I contributed to the bettering of society? Have I done anything to stop the suffering of the hungry or the abuse of sex slaves? Have I done anything worth while at all?

In the face of such young power, I feel ridiculed and belittled. I truly am a nobody. God has given me a mind, has He not? Then whatever on earth am I doing sitting here writing fiction that merely appeases the human appetite for a moment?! Why can I not be out in the world doing something that will change this place?

Why are we, young adults, why are we sitting back and letting those around us take control and direct the world in ways we know are wrong? Why do we let politicians and individuals in suits rule the world? There are still things to be fixed, my friend. There are still bridges to be burned and built, lives to be saved, and the Good News to be preached.

I think of what I saw in China, the little boy who had no legs and dragged himself about on a mat, his body covered in filth and grime. The old man with boils and blisters that oozed. The little girl being prostituted by a filthy overseer. The blind woman with stringy grey hair who begged for money. The thief who was shot dead in the middle of the street. The woman on the bike who was run over by a car, yet no one stopped to help her. I think of what I saw in Las Vegas. The strippers and prostitutes, covering their faces in make-up as they hid their shame and torment.

What is it that enables mankind to simply sit back and watch these people without doing anything? What is it that hardens our hearts and muddles our minds, like laudanum? How can we, who look at slavery and say, "Oh what horror!" sit back and entertain ourselves with people who are enslaved? How can we walk by the beggar and the drug-addict with sneers or grimaces when they are the ones who are in chains. They are the ones shackled by the chains of their addictions or circumstances, enslaved to whatever holds them back from becoming respectable individuals, and their souls are being sold to the devil!

We are indeed hypocrites if we applaud the abolishment of slavery, yet allow it to continue under our very noses. We most certainly are hypocrites if we see these slaves every day and do nothing to free them from their bondage.

Will you stop this? Will you stand up for what is right, honourable, noble, and just? Will you stand against slavery, slavery to addiction, pain, entertainment, and sin? Will you join me and stop being the hypocrite who says no to slavery, yet allows it to continue? May God give you strength, my friend. May He alone guide your path and bless you.

Signed with all sincerity,

Squeaks.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post. <3

    And Amazing Grace is one of my all time favorite movies. It's my comfort movie. I put it in and watch it when I just feel like curling up on my bed. I can't tell you how many times I have scribbled down the same quotes in my notebook. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Thank you, thank you. I loved that movie but it never roused me the way it did you, so I thank you for this post. It dared me to overcome second thoughts about fitting in in society and my own personal comfort. I do want to change the world, but I don't think I've wanted to like this before.

    I go now to pray and see what the Lord is wanting me to do besides sitting on my haunches watching the world go 'round.

    Thank you for the conviction. I needed it.

    God bless you Squeaks. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strong words! Love this post!!

    The slavery of sin has to be the biggest threat of all.

    Praying God will give you the right words to say that will unshackle the people you meet, from the chains of sin.

    God bless,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. I with ya. So easy to think that you're just one person, what could you do to change anything?

    We can do a lot more than we think. That's...why I write. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. *nods* Superb comments folks :D Thanks for reading! I'd go into more detail and talk to each of you but alas, I don't have time at the moment :S Adios!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails