News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

January 1, 2014

There & Back Again - A Short Tale of Adventures & Disasters

My dash is flooded with posts of "Happy New Year" and "All the best on 2014!" etc, etc. Originally I wasn't going to write anything about this last year or the new year...however, I suppose I succumbed to the inner desire to provide information.

pinterest
Looking back, 2013 was a good year and a sad year. I think it's time for a list & plenty of Tolkien quotes (because we always need those in times like these).

The Good Things

  • We did a LOT of hiking together as a family :) great memories
  • The parentals celebrated their 22nd! woop woop! So glad they're together through it all; takes gut to stay together these days & they're strong through everything. My folks are the best. 
  • Got to visit lots of family this year, both mom's side and dad's side. 
  • Spent lots of time out in the sun this summer, working beside my mom, dad, brother, and childhood friend. 
  • Read a ton of books I've been wanting to read!
  • Wrote bits of a new book (which really was just for fun, nothing serious there folks)
  • Went to a medical conference for the first time (and discovered my interest in microbiology and immunology really paid off)
  • Climbed Mt. Begbie straight up to the glacier :D 
  • Went to my best girl friend's wedding!
  • Did a lot of fun activities with the young adults people :P (swimming, hiking, treasure hunting for phones at a local ski hill, etc etc)
  • Got to hold my little baby second cousins in my arms <3
  • Went to see an old friend play piano this summer; he's so dog-gone amazing!!!
  • Skiied successfully for the second time (back in February I think) and didn't get injured :P
  • Saw The Desolation of Smaug (good stuff!)
  • Did super duper good in school this last term (I fulfilled the promise I made to myself)
  • FINISHED MY B.Sc. !!
  • Have nearly all my references for my application to an M.Sc. program. 

The Not Good Things (from my point of view)
  • Our amazing lead pastor passed away
  • Quite a few other people passed away too
    pinterest
    • My great aunt
    • A neighbour
    • An ex-neighbour
    • A family friend
    • Several more family friends from our church
    • A lil' kid from the town over
    • To be honest I've been to more funerals this last year than I have in my whole life combined.
  • My brother broke his clavicle (funny story, but painful)
  • I got stuck on chemotherapy nearly 3 weeks ago (woopdeedooda)
  • We had quite a number of beloved animals pass away over the last month
    • My brother's horse died from a stroke/seizure
    • Our beautiful black lab died from kidney + pancreatic failure and septic shock just this Sunday
    • My baby, our purebred Akita, Shinzou, died from sudden bloating on Christmas Day
    • A lil' baby calf was slain by coyotes
  • Went gluten free. 
    • Why's this on the "bad" list?? BECAUSE BREAD! TOAST! CRUMPETS! GLUTEN-OUS FLOURY DELICIOUS SUSTENANCE!! Folks, I miss it. It is torment some days, but well worth it others :P 

---
pinterest

This last week has been a really tough one. It's supposedly the most wonderful time of the year; I dunno 'bout you but I've done a lot of crying and questioning. Still, through all the trials and whatnot, I recall all the wonderful memories 2013 has brought me. It's really been a good year despite the sledge-hammering of this last month. And despite all of my losses, I have amazing memories to recall in the years to come. Pain doesn't last forever unless you let it. 
Plus, I have a wonderful family that sticks together like family should. Sure, we have our sore spots and the folks get over-parental sometimes and I act like a little brat other times and some days I feel like my brother should be back on baby food and Pampers, but hey! Every family has its ups and downs...afterall, it wouldn't be family if it wasn't like that. But we stick together like glue because we love each other to death. I'm so thankful I've got the family I have right now because I'm not sure how else I'd be able to handle all this stuff that's coming down the pipe. 
pinterest



So here's to a new year with new adventures and exciting stories to be written and challenges, dares, and stupid mistakes (because we all know we're going to make a few).

Now, my dears, I have a sliver of delightful gluten-free cheesecake sitting in the fridge. It is my most imminent wish to devour that slice and experience the entire ecstasy and adipose slapping deal it offers (because ya'll know cheesecake is my favourite thing under the sun). However, I have a brother...and he too wishes to consume said last-slice of heaven. So I shall remove this temptation from his eye-view by taking it upon me to exterminate the evidence :D :D




Signed with a wisp of smoke from the fireplace, 

Squeaks.

Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again, though oy...that's an awful lot to be dealing with at Christmas...ufda.
    Congratulations on finishing up your B.Sc, though, and finishing well! That is awesome! But ack, if you don't mind saying online, why are you on chemo? Yikes...
    I pray 2014 goes well for you, and that you are all doing okay after an ending of 2013 like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey gal! Good to hear from you :) It was a lot to deal with, but God is good and I think that as a family we feel really blessed by Him despite the trials we've been through. It's been quite a learning experience.
    And yes, I am SO excited to have finished my B.Sc. can hardly wait to start the new adventures :D
    I'm on chemo as treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (yep; started back in September, kinda really sucky but oh well what can I do). It's been going pretty good though, much better than expected :)

    Thanks for your comment! I hope you are doing good as well; it's been a while since I've checked my blog feed :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails