News

News: Since April of last year I have managed to accomplish several monumental things in my studies, but I update you now to tell you that three nights ago I had the best sleep since I last visited my aunt's house (years ago) and probably will never have another good sleep like it for years to come *nods sagely*.

--12 March 2017 --

Quote: I really dislike how glasses slide down your nose impetuously when you're glaring down at your unfinished work. -Me

The Fellowship

May 15, 2014

The Great Mutiny + Sailing Ships

I've been travelling a bit in the USA over the last couple days (those of you who read my personal blog, The Minstrel Warrior will know of this already). Today I came upon a delightful find - my brother wanted to stop by a little nautical shop we'd seen the other day, so we pulled up and walked inside. It was a quaint, warm little place with sea charts curled up in cubby holes and books on ship design scattered about. I saw some stairs and discovered an attic filled with old books that had something or other to do with the ocean.

The first thing that caught my eye was Sailing Ships by Attilio Cucari. It's a cute little book with pictures of many important old ships - it gives basic information about all kinds of stuff: the cog, the caravel, the frigate, the galleon, the brigantine, the schooner, etc etc. If you've been a long time reader of this blog, you'll know I'm rather fascinated with old ships and I've always wanted to try my hand at writing about them or incorporating them into a novel at some point in the future (if that ever happens). So now I've got this book, perhaps I'll feel a bit more confident about turning out into uncharted waters, so to speak :P

The second thing that caught my eye was a thick volume with beautiful cover art: The Great Mutiny by James Dugan. Goodreads gives the following short blurb:
A gripping and thorough account of the great British naval mutinies at Spithead and the Nore in 1797 when the sailors of the Royal Navy rose up in revolt against their appalling working conditions and withholding of pay. The author contrasts the unexpected success of the Spithead mutiny, in which the sailors were granted most of their demands, with the story of the Nore mutiny where, under the leadership of a seaman called Richard Parker, the revolt took an altogether more tragic course.



Some pictures from inside The Great Mutiny


All in all, The Great Mutiny sounds like a superb book, and even if it's a dry read I'm happy to keep it simply for the wonderful cover art.

That's all I have for you today folks :) I hope you're all enjoying your week - it's blazing hot where I am right now (an undisclosed location ;) we know how it goes, lol).

Signed with a soft breeze,

Squeaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails