News

News: I moved the keyboard to my room and now I feel strongly inclined to tell the world that I adore Phantom of the Opera. Everything is perfectly normal and no, I don't have access to any secret underground labyrinth...yet.

--12 August 2017 --

Quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest of hearts. --Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The Fellowship

February 9, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Illustrious Quotes from Books


It's Top Ten Tuesday and this time the topic is Valentine's Day Freebies, hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. While there are a wide arrangement of themes to choose from, I'm going to stick with "Top Ten Illustrious Quotes from Books" - recall, if you may, I'm a sucker for a good romance but I left the romance genre behind with my teenage years [Along with my dreams of a perfect real-world romance; let's get with the times ladies and gents, there's no such thing as a perfect romance. The one exception, obviously, being Christ and His Church]. That being said, my definition of illustrious could also be read as "heart-warming" or "touching" or "sentimental" and it more so corresponds with ethereal prose or statements that speak to my heart; I'll leave the gushy, romantic material for another time. Hear! hear! to a celebration of quotes that touch my soul (in one way or another).


TOP TEN ILLUSTRIOUS QUOTES FROM BOOKS
  1. "You'll never solve your mysteries, Scharr. Not as long as we live in this. This world's a whore, all soaked in perfumes, and you're so easily seduced." He tapped his skull. "Break the eggshell. Time to fly."  -- The Ale Boy's Feast by Jeffery Overstreet
  2. Men were such strange creatures. Perhaps getting shot at and defending a woman against wild animals and evil archers was his idea of enjoyment. -- The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson
  3. “Tell me, cat-man, why can I understand her?"
    "First," said Eanrin with a glower, "you will not call me 'cat-man' again. I am a knight, a poet, and a gentleman, and you will address me as sir or not address me at all.”  -- Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
  4. Odd's fish, m'dear! The man can't even tie his own cravat!  -- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
  5. “Tr...ooooo...luv...'
    Fezzik grabbed onto Inigo in panic and they both pivoted, staring at the man in black, who was silent again. '"True love," he said,' Inigo cried. 'You heard him - true love is what he wants to come back for. That's certainly worthwhile.'
    'Sonny, don't you tell me what's worthwhile - true love is the best thing in the world, except for cough drops. Everybody knows that.”  -- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
  6. Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landscape, hoping desperately that their circumstances will improve, but suspecting, in their heart of hearts, that they will remain unloved forever. The best thing to do in these circumstances is to wake somebody else up, so that they can feel this way, too.  -- Horseradish by Lemony Snicket
  7. The snow lay deep and undisturbed beneath the silver light of a dawning sky. Overhead, a raven surveyed a silent landscape as its black wings feathered the cold, thin air. The birdès rasping call was the only sound to be heard for miles, breaking the frozen solitude in irregular staccato. All around, the land lay asleep in the depths of winter.  -- In the Hall of the Dragon King by Stephen Lawhead
  8. There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.  -- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
  9. I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.  -- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  10. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.  -- The Return of the King by JRR Tolkien


Now for a brief explication of what these quotes mean to me. Quote 1 is by far my favourite bookish quote in the universe of quotable things. I don't quite know what it is, but it speaks to me on a deep level. Quote 2 is simply cute. Quote 3 showcases my favourite Stengl character during one of his many sassy moments *sighs*. I truly adore Eanrin. Quote 4 ... how can you even resist the charms of the Pimpernel? I must admit, however, the youtube version (I can't recall the year of its release, given that there are several out there) is much better than the book itself. 

Everyone loves (or at least most everyone should love) The Princess Bride, so hence...Quote 5. Quote 6 is one of many fabulous Lemony Snicket snippets - I have always loved his writing style. Quote 7 is the very first couple sentences from In the Hall of the Dragon King, and these are the words that first inspired me to try my hand at writing an honest-to-goodness novel (which I shlumped at and I think it's probably buried somewhere in my trove of forgotten treasures). Quote 8 is P&P as you can tell; I don't even need to explain this one. Austen is a given swoon for me. Of course, this is followed on the tail by Quote 9 - sassy Jane Eyre. I must have a thing for sassy characters. I adore them. 

Finally, my favourite book of all wraps it up with a melancholic Frodo. Some days I feel like Frodo; I think we must be kindred souls [Except for the fact that he's a Hobbit-man from Middle-Earth who does hobbity things and carries the weight of the world on his shoulders, while I'm a woman from regular-Earth who studies in the sciences and leads an otherwise unnotable life. Heavens, I must be the embodiment of Bilbo Baggins before he left the Shire!].

Thanks for joining me this fine Tuesday! Don't forget to link-up at The Broke & the Bookish!

Signed with sapphires, 

Squeaks.

6 comments:

  1. It makes me happy to see Overstreet's writing get some love and attention! You have so many delightful quotes listed here. I especially like P&P, The Princess Bride (though I've only watched the movie as of yet), The Return of the King, In the Hall of th Dragon King, and Dragonwitch. Gotta love Eanrin!

    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only earth-bound hobbit. ;) I love home, my books, and quiet days, and I sometimes require a Gandalf knocking at my door to nudge me into adventurous living.

    (By the way, I'm getting the sense that other bloggers are reading my mind. This is the second time this week someone has written about something I'm planning to include in upcoming Lovely Books editions. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to see Overstreet's books in my local library! (so I read them all quite hastily 2 years ago) I currently own the first and third book - I so desperately want to get at least the fourth!
      The Princess Bride as a novel is JUST AS, if not MORE SO, fantastical in comparison to the movie. Goldman has a way with words.

      I do look forward to your next edition of Lovely Books! The first was smashing! and also ridiculously hard to write because there are so many wonderful books out there.

      Delete
    2. I read them, hmm, let's see... *checks reading log* About a year and a half ago. I own Cyndere's Midnight so far, but I plan to get my hands on the other three! TABF almost made me cry, to be honest. The analogy of waiting for clearer water really struck home.
      Ya don't say! I actually have a second-hand copy The Princess Bride lying around. I should get around to reading it soon.

      Aww, thank you! I know, there are just too many good books to choose from! Hence the reason I'm dividing it into four subcategories. :)

      Delete
  2. AHHH YOU MENTIONED LEMONY SNICKET. <33 Who is like the best thing of ever (particularly Horseradish. Omg I love that book XD) Ahem. And also I adore the quote from #3! I haven't read that book, but that's hilarious and makes me want to try it. :D

    😊 Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty fantastic, I admit :P And YESS Anne Elisabeth Stengl is an absolutely fantastic writer! You should definitely check out her books (the first few in her Goldstone Wood series are a little rough, in my opinion, but they have gotten exponentially better and the stuff she's been producing lately is amazing).

      Thank-YOU for stopping by :D you've got a crazy busy blog there and I'm very pleasantly surprised you took the time to follow up on your commenters! It's very commendable :) definitely looking forward to reading more of your posts!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails